Wednesday, October 25, 2006

My Alabama

I am stealing this from a post by Chicken&Waffles from GrayCharles. This poem evokes so much visceral imagery for me. And I’m blessed enough to get to see my Alabama everyday.

Daybreak in Alabama

When I get to be a composer
I’m gonna write me some music about
Daybreak in Alabama
And I’m gonna put the purtiest songs in it
Rising out of the ground like a swamp mist
And falling out of heaven like soft dew.
I’m gonna put some tall tall trees in it
And the scent of pine needles
And the smell of red clay after rain
And long red necks
And poppy colored faces
And big brown arms
And the field daisy eyes
Of black and white black white black people
And I’m gonna put white hands
And black hands and brown and yellow hands
And red clay earth hands in it
Touching everybody with kind fingers
And touching each other natural as dew
In that dawn of music when I
Get to be a composer
And write about daybreak
In Alabama.
-Langston Hughes

_______________________________________________________________

And the Who Gives A Shit story of the day…

BRITNEY KEEPING MUM ON NEW BABY'S NAME

A mystery It's keeping me awake at night is growing around Britney Spears' second baby She's already had a baby?.It was widely reported that on Sept. 12 I musta missed that headline, Spears gave birth to a baby boy that she named Sutton Pierce. Spears has not confirmed those reports I've been calling and calling her, but she still won't tell me, and pics of little Sutton have yet to surface waiting on pins and needles for these photos. Sources tell the Scoop that may be because there is no Sutton Pierce Spears Federline Does this mean she didn't really have a baby??.


4 comments:

Amanda said...

oh dear lord, i now share my birthday with an idiots child, so until the day I die imma see headlines about it being that kids birthday...ugh.....Lynn, I too am lucky to live in one of the purtiest states!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Lynn....bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah I love the way you did the story aboout the child of Brittany Slut..I mean Spears

Alabama...home of beautiful sunrises and twin globes! OH Ms. Nell?

Unknown said...

No, they named the kid Jaylen or Jayden James or something and call him JJ.

Redneck enough for ya?

Rainbow said...

Wow, Lynn loved that poem about Alabama!!!!! Would love to see Alabama...in fact...my best friend and I are planning a trip to Birmingham...I wanna walk Dr. Martin Luther King's walk..yep, gonna do it. Hey we can meet..oh that would be fantastic to meet my dear friend Lynn...who loves ya baby????